Thursday 29 August 2013

ARCH1102 PROJECT 1 : KIOSK

2013 semester 2  ARCH1102 Design Studio 2

First Project was to design and model a Kiosk on given site which is located in Woolloomooloo in Sydney Australia. For the first few weeks we visited the Woolloomooloo site and create a site model. Our site was very interesting as it has divided into 4 different zones ( for design studio learning purpose) and these zones have different elevation and slopes. We were asked to design a Kiosk store for Art school students and public. There were some limitations on our design that one of our boundary should be aligned with boundary of zone A and interior and exterior wall  limitations.

My design was very simple, but strong and bit of enjoyment. When I propose the draft design I divided into 2 areas : Preparation & Storage Room and Display/Sales area. I tried to create the Kiosk as an open area for public so engages people to come into the store and going out to the public space through Kiosk.

Following list were main ideas and features of my design

1. Continuous Planes - external wall of Kiosk continues with boundary walls of zone A -  in Different heights As the boundary exists, people may concentrate on the store and be engaged to come in 

2. Folded continuous Planes - Key features of my kiosk is STAIRS
- Long stair that has a meeting point with two angled stairs - attracts people to come into building also to spread out to public space 
- Stepping ground Floor of Kiosk gives a sense that we are walking up to the sky and also secure enough space over a person's head who are stepping down to public space

3. Large Windows and Door - increases visual area of Kiosk , used sliding door and three wide windows on exterior wall of Kiosk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Present my design and model on the submission day to our classmate and tutor, tutor commented that my design idea is strong but my CAD drawing needs to improve a lot and scale of building elements were not correct.
 When I print my CAD drawing, I had problem with line thickness as they appeared too thick than it has to be and I did not include some crucial parts of drawing such as trees and neighbour buildings. 
For the Scale problem , I did not recognise the problem until tutor figured it out during my presentation. According to my drawing and model, there are not enough interior space for people and stair inside the Kiosk is relatively too large. 

Well..since I had put efforts on modelling and design, I was very disappointed to myself making such a critical errors as an Architect/ Engineer during my design but I have learned that Presentation of my design and feedback from various perspectives really help me recognise any mistake and may improve further. 
Also, I learnt that time management is such a crucial part of project to finish a task in time with all information it needs.
I will correct the error I made and add more information on my drawing and model. I hope my architectural skills improve during this semester, overcome my weakness and yields successful design results.   





No comments:

Post a Comment