Wednesday 30 October 2013

Project 3 - Tower Gallery


Project 3 - Tower Gallery

For this project, we were asked to design an art gallery that is a "tower" which will be using by public and students. 
I modify and redesign last two projects to put three entities all together and make an relation of interconnection. Main key ideas of my new design for Kiosk, Bicycle Workshop and Tower Gallery are followed: 

1. Public but Private area : Combination of open area and enclosed area gives you idea that those area is used as a public space but also for some part of area, it can give you sense of privacy -- 

--> I did not use large opening gate / window / skylight for the tower Gallery as it should keep the art works in safe way also prevent them from sunlight or wind damages. 

--> The ground floor of three building has no closings and has longitudinal opened area that are made by ground and upper level floors which let public  and bicycles freely access these 'sharing' area and to the lower ground garden anytime. 

--> there are various ways to access to the upper level : stairways inside Kiosk, spiral stair for gallery and a lift for storage of gallery.  However, after the opening hours, public cannot access to the upper level as the buildings are closed. 

2. Barcelona Pavilion and Column house 
I played with our precedences to use in my design. I tried to catch their characteristics and employ them into my design. For example, the vertical columns that connects whole floor of building form Column house and 'never meet' walls from Barcelona Pavilion. I think the way I  develop the idea was so much fun ! and I think it quiet works well in terms of concept.
 e.g. For my Tower Gallery , I used idea of connecting void from Column house so I used some of horizontal and vertical connecting windows and door that they continue to adjacent walls and etc.

3. Tower Gallery 
I used one square skylight (glass window on the roof) that are vertically straight from its ground floor to the roof -- it provides you negative area and quiet nice sunlight that is not too strong during the night since its area is not too large.
The main feature for the Gallery is the spiral staircase from the floor to the 1st level - it is located in the middle of the Gallery . Also the other stairs that connects each level of building are in straight but going spirally along walls of the Gallery.
The main concern about Gallery design was that even though the Gallery is in quiet dark situation, I wanted to provide such a nice view of  city and neighbourhood. I made a draft working model for the gallery and find the best solution for this situation. 

4. I have not changed much of Kiosk design but for bicycle workshop since it used to locate in Zone b in my previous design. I used different zone so I rearranged them and design new look of workshop

5. General Comment: It took such a long time in both designing ( drawings) and Modelling of my submission as I have decided to change whole design! and I had an Cad program error so it did not give me satisfaction with plan and section. I realised that time management has been still an issue even though I planned and started early. 

I enjoyed design parts a lot than Modelling part before but through previous projects gave me how to use  "Model" and " Drawings" and their such a strong relationship between them also in communication way. I want to improve my weakness in CAD and the time management and hopefully do well for my final submission : )

No comments:

Post a Comment